Woman Neurofibromatosis Face Tumour Finally Finding Love

A woman who was cruelly called 'tumour girl' by bullies has finally found love. For most of her life, Sophia Walker, 22, has bravely fought heartless comments about her appearance - which is caused by neurofibromatosis, a condition that makes tumours grow on the body.

The agriculture student, from Norfolk, has even had groups of men cruelly take selfies with her on nights out. But now she finally feels beautiful after finding love with an old friend, 22 year-old Christian Dibden farmer, Christian Dibden.

Defiant: Sophia Walker insists she's just like any other girl - other than the fact that she was born with neurofibromatosis, which causes tumours to grow on her nerves. Ms Walker, who attends Harper Adams University in Shropshire, says: 'After years of cruel comments and bad dating experiences I thought I'd never meet a nice guy.


'Men used to keep me secret and would be embarrassed to be seen with me trending month.

But now I've finally found someone who makes me feel beautiful and loves me for who I am.'

The couple, who have been together for five months, met in college when they were 16, but lost touch after they left for university.

In September last year, the pair went for dinner and hit it off.


'We were supposed to be catching up as friends, but there was a lot of flirting and I realised I felt something more,' she said.

'Then the next time we met up, we shared our first kiss. At the time, I really liked him, but was cautious of revealing my feelings as I'd been badly hurt in the past.'

Soon after, the couple officially began dating and now spend every weekend together.

'He is proud to be with me and I'm glad I've found love with someone special - plus my parents love him!'.

Ms Walker inherited the hereditary condition from her mum, dental nurse Helen, 52, who also has neurofibromatosis type 1 - which affects one in 3,000 people and has an inheritance risk of fifty per cent.

Brother Oli, 25, has also inherited a milder form of the condition, while agricultural storeman dad David, 62, does not have neurofibromatosis.

'My mum has soft little lumps all over her body, whilst Oli has cafe au lait spots, which are small brown patches,' she says.

People always asked why I couldn't just get it removed, but because it's attached to nerve endings, it could actually paralyse my face Sophia Walker

'I have a much rarer form. My facial tumour is a benign tumour, which has grown steadily since birth.

'People always asked why I couldn't just get it removed, but because it is attached to nerve endings, completely removing it would actually paralyse my face.'

On nights out, Sophia was subjected to cruel pranks from men, who held bets to kiss or have selfies taken with her.

'Some men have been horrible to me. Big groups of them have come up to me take a selfie with me- which I know will just be uploaded to Facebook for people to poke fun at.

'Once some lads held £50 bets with each-other to kiss me.'

Sophia will have to undergo several painful operations in the future, but for now she is focusing on her new relationship and degree.

She says: 'I'm excited to be with Chris and I'm looking forward to finishing my degree and moving back to Norfolk.
'With the support of my loved ones, I have finally found the confidence to be myself.

'And that's what really makes me beautiful.'

NEUROFIBROMATOSIS : WHAT IS THE CONDITION?


Neurofibromatosis is the name for a number of genetic conditions that cause swellings or lumps.

Although many people who have the condition inherit it from one of their parents, up to 50 per cent develop it randomly from a gene mutation before they are born.

Despite their alarming appearance, the growths and swellings - called neurofibromas and caused by a growth of cells - are not cancerous or contagious.

The condition has long been associated with the ‘Elephant Man,’ the name given to Joseph Carey Merrick, who was severely disfigured.

However, in 1986, a new theory emerged that Mr Merrick may actually have had Proteus syndrome, a condition which involves symptoms such as abnormal growth of the bones, skin and head.

The confusion was again compounded in 2001 when it was proposed that he had suffered from a combination of neurofibromatosis type one (NF1) and Proteus syndrome.

However, DNA tests on his hair and bones have proven inconclusive.